Sunday 20 February 2011

The National Geographic Magazine and Pembrokeshire





A view from Lydstep Headland of  the Caverns.
 Hi Everyone,
Pembrokeshire was once again this week featured  in National Geographic Traveller Magazine about Pembrokeshire Coast National Park and Pembrokeshire.  It was featured last November for being second in the top 99 Coastal Destinations in the World voted by a panel of 340 independent experts in the field of sustainable tourism and destination stewardship.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/parks/pembrokeshire-coast-wales/

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/coastal-destinations-rated/top-rated

The Daily Telegraph online also featured Pembrokeshire in its Travel Section on  recommended walks by the National Trust, which featured a walk around the headland at Solva and the likelihood of seeing choughs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activityandadventure/walkingholidays/8328407/The-Gribin-Solva-Pembrokeshire-Walk-of-the-week.html

I can also report that I saw a pair of choughs while walking on Lydstep Headland with my dogs the other day.  It is a wonderful walk with spectacular views from Lydstep point of Caldey Island.   This area of land was acquired by the National Trust in 1936.  The headland has a number of climbing routes, and the Black Rock is a favourite location used by fishermen hoping to catch a bass, pollock and mackerel.  Below Lydstep Headland is the Lydstep Caverns where it is possible on spring tides in the summer months to catch prawns.  I have taken take my prawn and shrimp net there but so far have failed miserably to catch a thing .  I obviously am doing a number of  things wrong.  I am either going at the wrong time of year, or the wrong tides or I do not have the right feramones for this activity.!!! I have on the other hand, caught plenty of shrimps and flounders at Angle Bay so I will not give up hope of catching something at  Lydstep Caverns this year!!!  I will keep you informed.

Gorse in flower on Lydstep Headland

No comments: