Tuesday 1 March 2011

The Rococo Gardens,Painswick, Gloucestershire






Hi Everyone,
I went to Gloucestershire a few weekends ago and visited the Rococo Gardens,Painswick.  I went with a friend on rather a cold, dull day to do the famous snowdrop walk.  If it had been fine and warm there would have been masses of people!!!  Despite the weather the snowdrops were fantastic and there were not too many people.  It is a masterpiece in naturalistic planting.  They divide up the clumps every few years and it is stunning the effect in the woodland area.




There are a number of folly's throughout the garden.  One I felt was similar in design to a similar one at Portmeirion and it created the feeling of an Italien garden.










My absolute favourite snowdrop was  Galanthus Nivalis 'Flore Pleno'.  I purchased several pots of them and brought them  back to Pembrokeshire for my own garden.  Unfortunately they will take ages to develop the wonderful drifts of snowdrops at the Rococo Gardens.  So I think I will have to put in a bulk order!  I decided I would follow planting instructions to the letter and put in bonemeal and fertiliser and oh joy my dogs smelled the bone meal from  inside the house and proceeded to dig them up to get at the bone meal so the flower that was looking lovely is now looking extremely battered and sorry for itself!!!



Galanthus nivalus 'Flore Pleno'

There were beautiful cyclamen and aconites and all in all it was a lovely place to visit. I hope you have enjoyed a little armchair view of it in the comfort of your own homes!






http://www.rococogarden.org.uk/SeasonalJoys/SnowdropsatRococoGarden.aspx


No comments: