Thursday 27 January 2011

Manorbier Book Club Evening and a trip to the Apollo Cinema, Camarthen.

Hi Everyone,
For those people who are interested in books we had a meeting of our book club a couple of nights ago at my house.  Manorbier has two book clubs!!!  The original one was started over thirteen years ago and because it was quite a large group various other people thought we should form another one about five years ago.  Each group does not tend to read the same book for the month.  In our book club we take it in turns to choose the book and then when we meet up the following month not only to discuss it but then each of us has to give a score for  the book depending on whether you enjoyed it or not.  Unfortunately my book choice this month will definitely win the prize for the worst choice this year but that is okay with me.  I was due to choose either The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery, or Portrait of a Turkish Family by Irfan Orga.  Goodness knows what came over me before Christmas because I suddenly decided to choose a Collection of Short Stories by V.S.Pritchett having read The Saturday Independents 50 Best Books.  I supposed I was swayed suddenly to change my book choice on the basis that I had never read a collection of short stories and neither had we read any as a book club group.  They were all quite dark and tragic in some ways. My favourite was " The Girl Who Came Home".  I can assure you that my choice was extremely unpopular!!!  Anyhow we are now reading Rohinton Mistry Family Matters.  His book A Fine Balance was very popular with our group a few years ago and certainly I have found the first few pages really enjoyable although I am the slowest reader in the entire universe so I hope I finish it by the 22nd February!
A friend and I went to the marvellous Apollo Cinema in Camarthen  to see" The Black Swan" last night. Goodness gracious we were both exhausted watching this very dark and intense film but I can assure you that Natalie Portman thoroughly deserved the Golden Globe for her performance.  Not a feel good movie that is for sure!
I was going to take you on a photographic walk round Lydstep Headland tonight from the comfort of your armchairs but it is so cold and grey I am not going to go out.  Instead you can enjoy the view from where Stackpole House was built originally before it was demolished with panoramic views across the lake. Apparently the Forestry Commission is working with the National Trust over the next five years to manage the woodland and the silted up areas of the lakes by invasive species of shrubs.
View over the lake at Stackpole Estate, Pembrokeshire, Wales. 

No comments: